Let Your Skin Feel The Difference

Welcome to Scentsational Soaps

Our HONEYBEE NATURALS line of products takes full advantage of trusting bees to create beneficial, pure and healing products!

Come see what is happening in our soap studio today!



Wednesday, October 12, 2011

How To Make Homemade Liquid Laundry Soap


How To Make Homemade Liquid Laundry Soap

Have you ever wondered how easy it would be to make your own homemade liquid laundry soap? This recipe is not only easy, the cost is less than a few dollars per batch and each batch makes enough for 110 loads of laundry.

This liquid laundry soap works Great for High Efficiency washers as it’s not a super sudsy soap.

The ingredients you’ll need should be available at your local grocery stores or maybe big box stores.

Box of 20 Mule Team Borax – You need 1 cup – in laundry soap isle
Box Arm & Hammer Washing Soda – You need 1/2 cup – in laundry soap isle
1 bar of ivory soap (I used my own handmade soap and part of a bar of castile)
Large clean bucket enough to hold 3 gallons of water easily – I used a 5 gallon bucket we acquired from a fast food joint – it used to be filled with bags of pickles.. we got it free.
Water

The ingredients are simple enough. Should only cost maybe $10, at most, likely less (I’ve had my boxes of powders for a year or so, and have no idea what I paid for them). The two boxes of powders will last you through several batches (or use to make powdered laundry soap, or even liquid hand soap).



First, shave your bar of soap using a peeler. I used 1/3 bar of castile and a 1/2 bar of handmade soap


Once your soap is in small pieces, place a pot on the stove big enough to hold 5 cups of water. Bring the water to a boil. When it begins to boil, lower heat to simmer and put the soap in the water. I covered with a lid and let it sit.

While your soap is melting, add 3 gallons of hot water to your bucket. For ease, I used a 2 qt pitcher to fill it.

To the hot water, add 1 cup of Borax and 1/2 cup of Washing Soda. Stir with long handled spoon until dissolved.


Add the melted soap water to the bucket and stir well. If you want to add any fragrance, add it now. Since I make soap, I have tons of fragrances around. I used one called Eucalyptus Thymes – I got from a place called Sweet Cakes (their eucalyptus is the best clean smell – not like medicinal eucalyptus). Or add essential oils. If you plan to make your soaps regularly and want it fragrances, I’d suggest finding a good soap/candle supply company (maybe one local to you?) and order it – it’s Much cheaper to order your essential oils and fragrances rather than purchase from the health food store or craft store.

Cover the bucket and set aside for 24 hours. Your soap may be watery or gel up in areas, may be slightly lumpy in areas. This is normal and nothing to worry about. Make sure to smoosh up the clumps when you add it to the washer. If you have smaller containers to put your in, it may be easier to handle – I have old detergent bottles and filled mine with my “new” soap. My soap is very watery – but very soapy.

This makes over 110 loads of liquid laundry soap – and you only need to use about a 1/2 cup.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment